Friday, 2 January 2015

Fire razes building on New Year’s Day


The building
items worth millions of naira were destroyed when fire engulfed a one-storey building on Ire-akari Street in the Mile 12 area of Lagos on New Year’s Day.

It was learnt that the inferno, which started around 5am on Thursday, took the efforts of both the local residents and the Lagos State Fire Service to put out.
PUNCH Metro gathered that many of the residents of the building had travelled out of Lagos for festivities, while others who were around had yet to return home after ushering in the New Year.
Some residents of the area told our correspondent that a woman, who was in the house, had lighted a candle and forgotten to put it out before she slept off. The candle light was said to have led to the inferno.
It was said the woman ran away when she realised that the whole house was covered with smoke.
The landlord of the building, who pleaded anonymity, said the woman, whose action caused the inferno, had been served a notice to quit the house due to “unreasonable behaviour”.
He said, “She has been served a notice to quit the building due to several misunderstandings. It could be that was why she chose to be careless about the safety of the house.
“Neighbours even complained that she did not call for help when the fire started. Instead, she ran away with her baby.
“Many of the residents have travelled out of Lagos to celebrate the season with their families. They will be devastated to hear about this incident. Everything in the upper building was reduced to ashes.”
A resident of the building, simply identified as Kayode, said he was grateful that no life was lost even though he lost all his belongings.

No comments:

Post a Comment